DEFENDING RACIAL JUSTICE, EQUITY, AND CIVIL RIGHTS
Every person must be treated with dignity and have equal rights under the law. No person in a free and fair society should make less money, be denied government services, pay more for healthcare, lose a job or housing opportunities, or face discrimination in the community or workplace because of their gender, race, creed, national origin, disability, whom they love, or anything else that defines them.
In Congress, I remain committed to protecting marriage equality and LGBTQ rights — and I’ve been proud to help introduce and pass the Equality Act. I also support the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment. I support the rights of individuals with disabilities and will work to preserve the protections afforded under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
I also support criminal justice reform to ensure that our justice system is fairly sentencing offenders regardless of race or economic status, and that we’re addressing issues related to addiction in our jails and prisons. I also support bolstering reentry efforts, which reduce recidivism and ensure that those who have paid their debt to society have the knowledge and resources necessary to become employed and engaged community members.
I’m committed to advancing policies that make important, best practice reforms such as banning chokeholds and no-knock warrants, improving anti-bias training, increasing accountability, limiting the continued militarization of local police departments, and strengthening community relationships. I have worked with lawmakers in both parties on these efforts as well as law enforcement, civil rights, and community organizations.
- Helped introduce and pass the Equality Act to protect our LGBTQ neighbors from discrimination.
- Cosponsored and voted to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act in the U.S. House to address issues of bias and inequity in policing and practices.
- Helped introduce and pass a resolution to remove the deadline for the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), building on Virginia’s efforts.
- Cosponsored and voted to pass the Voting Rights Advancement Act to protect the rights of all Americans at the ballot box.
- CUTTING COSTS & GROWING VIRGINIA’S ECONOMY
- LOWERING HEALTHCARE & PRESCRIPTION DRUG COSTS
- PROTECTING SOCIAL SECURITY & MEDICARE
- CLEANING UP WASHINGTON
- HONORING VETERANS & MILITARY FAMILIES
- SAFEGUARDING FREEDOMS FOR WOMEN
- STRENGTHENING OUR NATIONAL SECURITY
- SUPPORTING FARMERS & VIRGINIA’S RURAL ECONOMY
- SECURING OUR BORDERS & FIXING OUR BROKEN IMMIGRATION SYSTEM
- FUNDING THE POLICE
- PREVENTING GUN VIOLENCE
- SUPPORTING VIRGINIA STUDENTS
- DEFENDING RACIAL JUSTICE, EQUITY, AND CIVIL RIGHTS
- PROTECTING OUR ENVIRONMENT & PROMOTING CONSERVATION