SUPPORTING FARMERS & VIRGINIA’S RURAL ECONOMY
Virginia’s Seventh District is home to thousands of acres of rich farm and forestland, and our farmers help feed and fuel the world. As the only Virginian serving on the U.S. House Agriculture Committee, I am working in Congress to make sure the voices of Virginia’s farmers, producers, and agribusinesses are heard. On the U.S. House Agriculture Committee, I serve as Chair of the Conservation and Forestry Subcommittee — where I help bring crop and livestock producers to the table on issues related to protecting Virginia’s natural resources. Additionally, I am focused on expanding market access, cutting burdensome regulations on the ag industry, and leveling the playing field for smaller producers. Right now, the big four meat and poultry producers control the vast majority of the meat processing industry — and I’ve worked to crack down on anti-competitive processes and restore the idea of free-market enterprise in this sector.
While we have made great progress bringing broadband internet to rural counties across Virginia, I remain focused on ensuring every community has access to this vital infrastructure. Reliable access to high-speed, broadband internet can determine whether or not Virginians can grow their businesses, finish their homework, or stay connected to vital telehealth services. Since arriving in the U.S. House, I’ve led multiple efforts to expand internet access to everyone in Virginia’s rural communities and in underserved areas across the country.
- Led the introduction and passage of the Lower Food and Fuel Costs to help expand access to biofuels like ethanol, as well as address ongoing supply chain challenges across the American energy and agriculture sectors.
- Led the introduction of the bipartisan Meat and Poultry Special Investigator Act, which would crack down on anti-competitive practices in the meatpacking industry, level the playing field for Virginia livestock producers, and help lower meat prices at the grocery store.
- Voted to pass the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, which includes her legislation to help build higher-speed broadband internet networks that meet current demands for uploads and downloads.
- Voted to pass the American Rescue Plan, which allowed the Virginia General Assembly to allocate more than $700 million for the Commonwealth to be on a path towards universal broadband internet access in the next few years.
- Helped negotiate and voted to pass the USMCA trade agreement, opening up new markets for Virginia businesses and farms.
- Successfully fought to protect market facilitation program payments to Virginia farmers in the face of the trade war between the United States and China.
- Hosted multiple broadband summits in the Seventh District’s rural communities to allow local residents to speak directly with federal, state, and local officials about current broadband internet projects and needs.
- Successfully fought to protect millions of dollars for broadband internet infrastructure for Virginia through the USDA’s ReConnect Program.
- Announced a $28 million broadband project for additional Virginia counties through the CVEC.
- Introduced multiple bills to fix the FCC’s outdated and inaccurate broadband maps.
- Push the FCC to expand wifi hotspots and cut red tape for Virginia schools in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CUTTING COSTS & GROWING VIRGINIA’S ECONOMY
- LOWERING HEALTHCARE & PRESCRIPTION DRUG COSTS
- PROTECTING SOCIAL SECURITY & MEDICARE
- CLEANING UP WASHINGTON
- HONORING VETERANS & MILITARY FAMILIES
- SAFEGUARDING FREEDOMS FOR WOMEN
- STRENGTHENING OUR NATIONAL SECURITY
- SUPPORTING FARMERS & VIRGINIA’S RURAL ECONOMY
- SECURING OUR BORDERS & FIXING OUR BROKEN IMMIGRATION SYSTEM
- FUNDING THE POLICE
- PREVENTING GUN VIOLENCE
- SUPPORTING VIRGINIA STUDENTS
- DEFENDING RACIAL JUSTICE, EQUITY, AND CIVIL RIGHTS
- PROTECTING OUR ENVIRONMENT & PROMOTING CONSERVATION