SUPPORTING VIRGINIA STUDENTS
As a proud graduate of Virginia public schools and a mother of three children who attend Virginia public schools, I am committed to strengthening our public education system — including our early childhood programs like Head Start. Our children hold the keys to the future of our economy, our national security, and the health of our communities.
In Congress, I’ve supported increasing access to affordable workforce training and apprenticeship programs for Americans whose path to employment and success does not require a four-year degree.
Additionally, I have championed efforts to help students and their families afford these career and technical education training programs. I am proud to be a tireless advocate for our nation’s students from the day they enter school to the day they graduate— and I want to make sure they have the tools they need to succeed in a competitive, global economy.
- Introduced bipartisan legislation with U.S. Rep. Rob Wittman (R-VA) to allow Virginia students and workers to use their 529 savings to pay for workforce training and credentialing programs.
- Successfully secured provisions to help Virginia schools expand internet access for their students during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Championed commonsense fixes that allowed Virginia schools to have more flexibility in providing free and reduced-price school meals to their students during the pandemic.
- Led the introduction of the bipartisan Computers for Veterans and Students Act, which would allow certified, nonprofit refurbishing organizations to directly obtain, refurbish, and distribute repairable, surplus government computers to serve veterans headed back to school, students, and seniors in need.
- Supported expanding Pell Grant eligibility to career and technical education programs — like IT and commercial truck driving programs
- Introduced bipartisan legislation to allow Head Start programs to receive federal work study dollars and employ more future educators.
- Cosponsored legislation to encourage more women and minority students to enter STEM fields.
- Helped introduce the Student Loan Disclosure Transparency Act, which would require monthly disclosures of student loan debt information to borrowers.
- CUTTING COSTS & GROWING VIRGINIA’S ECONOMY
- LOWERING HEALTHCARE & PRESCRIPTION DRUG COSTS
- PROTECTING SOCIAL SECURITY & MEDICARE
- CLEANING UP WASHINGTON
- HONORING VETERANS & MILITARY FAMILIES
- SAFEGUARDING FREEDOMS FOR WOMEN
- STRENGTHENING OUR NATIONAL SECURITY
- SUPPORTING FARMERS & VIRGINIA’S RURAL ECONOMY
- SECURING OUR BORDERS & FIXING OUR BROKEN IMMIGRATION SYSTEM
- FUNDING THE POLICE
- PREVENTING GUN VIOLENCE
- SUPPORTING VIRGINIA STUDENTS
- DEFENDING RACIAL JUSTICE, EQUITY, AND CIVIL RIGHTS
- PROTECTING OUR ENVIRONMENT & PROMOTING CONSERVATION