Environment & Conservation
Climate change is real, and it is a threat to our national security. We’re already seeing the effects right here in Virginia with rising sea levels, higher average temperatures, and stronger hurricanes. An investment in clean, renewable energy is an investment in our ecosystem, our health, and our economy. These efforts require significant coordination, as well as a shared baseline of facts, and I will stand up to attacks against science.
As a kid, I cherished the time I spent outdoors, trekking through the woods or picnicking in parks with my family. As an adult, I know how lucky we are to have Virginia’s mountains, rivers, and beaches. It is our responsibility to protect these resources for our children and generations to come by investing in alternative and renewable energy sources and decreasing air and water pollution. An investment in clean, renewable energy is an investment in our ecosystem, our health, and our economy.
As Chair of the House Agriculture Committee’s Conservation and Forestry Subcommittee, I know that Central Virginia is home to many successful conservation efforts, and I support businesses and farms working with local communities to build long-term climate solutions that are both beneficial for the environment and the economy.
- Voted to pass the Climate Action Now Act, which would keep the United States in the Paris Climate Agreement and require an evidence-based strategy for reducing U.S. emission levels
- As Chair of the House Agriculture Committee’s Conservation and Forestry Subcommittee, I’ve brought Central Virginians before my Subcommittee to share their personal experiences in protecting our area’s lands and watersheds
- Held multiple roundtables and panels with Central Virginia conservationists and farmers to discuss how we can work together to improve our region’s conservation practices
- Cosponsored legislation to require the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to test for lead contamination in the water supply of all schools
- Led the introduction the Climate Readiness Act, which would recognize climate change as a national security threat and require the Pentagon to assess its response strategies
- Healthcare & Prescription Drug Costs
- Tackling Corruption in Congress
- Gun Violence Prevention
- Protecting Social Security & Medicare
- Jobs And Economy
- Immigration & Border Security
- Good Governance
- National Security
- Racial Justice, Equity, & Civil Rights
- Campaign Finance Reform
- Environment & Conservation
- Broadband Internet Access
- Covid-19 (Healthcare)
- Veterans & Military Families