STRENGTHENING OUR NATIONAL SECURITY
As a former CIA case officer, I have devoted my career to identifying the threats facing our country. Now, as a Member of the U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee, I have been focused on advancing a tough, smart national security strategy.
Across the globe, we are seeing the hubris and alarming rise of autocracies — from China to Russia. In the face of aggression, I believe that we need to stand strong as a beacon of democracy, maintain strong relationships with our allies and security partners, and invest in our economic competitiveness here at home. I have voted to provide military and humanitarian aid to the people of Ukraine, and I have pushed for greater investments in American industries to reduce our dependence on companies tied to the Chinese Communist Party.
Our elected leaders should understand and acknowledge the interconnected nature of our national security, our foreign policy, and our economic prosperity. We must also continue to value and support our military, diplomats, intelligence officers, and civil servants, as they work together to serve our country and protect our nation. And as our country continues to be threatened by foreign adversaries, we also need to take real, concrete steps to strengthen our election, telecommunications, and national security systems.
- Introduced bipartisan legislation that was signed into law by then-President Trump to strengthen America’s 5G networks and protect against foreign-based cyberthreats.
- Led bipartisan legislation to repeal outdated Authorizations for the Use of Military Force (AUMFs) and reassert the role of Congress in decisions of war and peace.
- Voted to pass the bipartisan Ukraine Democracy Defense Lend-Lease Act that authorized the United States to enter into lend-lease agreements with Ukraine to provide additional U.S. military equipment
- Voted to pass the bipartisan Ukraine Supplemental Appropriations Act to deliver additional military aid, economic support, and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine as it fends off Putin’s invasion.
- Led Members of the U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee in urging the State Department to designate Russia as a State Sponsor of Terrorism.
- Voted to pass the COMPETES Act to strengthen America’s competitiveness in key industries like semiconductor production — and led efforts to make Virginia a hub of these new operations.
- Introduced legislation passed in the U.S. House that would require online political ads to boost their transparency and make clear any foreign connections.
- Led the introduction of a resolution that passed in the U.S. House and U.S. Senate to block the sale of offensive weapons to Saudi Arabia that could be used to target civilians.
- Led and joined several congressional efforts to reevaluate and repeal existing Authorizations for Use of Military Force (AUMFs).
- CUTTING COSTS & GROWING VIRGINIA’S ECONOMY
- LOWERING HEALTHCARE & PRESCRIPTION DRUG COSTS
- PROTECTING SOCIAL SECURITY & MEDICARE
- CLEANING UP WASHINGTON
- HONORING VETERANS & MILITARY FAMILIES
- SAFEGUARDING FREEDOMS FOR WOMEN
- STRENGTHENING OUR NATIONAL SECURITY
- SUPPORTING FARMERS & VIRGINIA’S RURAL ECONOMY
- SECURING OUR BORDERS & FIXING OUR BROKEN IMMIGRATION SYSTEM
- FUNDING THE POLICE
- PREVENTING GUN VIOLENCE
- SUPPORTING VIRGINIA STUDENTS
- DEFENDING RACIAL JUSTICE, EQUITY, AND CIVIL RIGHTS
- PROTECTING OUR ENVIRONMENT & PROMOTING CONSERVATION